Cauliflower Rice with Chickpeas
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 can of chickpeas – rinsed and drained
- 1 pepper (colour of your choice) – diced
- 1 small yellow or white onion – diced
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- ½ cup of chopped parsley (fresh)
- 3 cups of mushrooms – sliced
- 2 stalks of celery – diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed or diced
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- ½ cup of water
- Using a food processor, attach the blade that will shred the cauliflower to resemble rice. Pulse the entire head of cauliflower. You could also use a cheese grater to grate the cauliflower to the size of a rice grain.
- Add the coconut oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, celery, sauté for approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the pepper, mushroom, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice, chickpeas, marinara sauce, ½ cup of water, salt and pepper. Combine well. Place a lid on the skillet if you have one. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (add water if needed).
- Remove lid and add the parsley, oregano (you may need to add more water at this point if the mixture seems dry. You want it to be moist) Continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and serve.
TIP: this recipe makes a lot. Eat as a main dish or serve as a side dish. Great for left overs and will last refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Are you struggling with what to make for dinner, breakfast and/or lunch? click here to get your FREE 1 day meal plan